One of my resolutions is to stick to $100 a week in cash (spending money/groceries/gas/etc only- real bills are paid out of our checking account) budget for the first quarter of the year (ideally, the entire year, but, hey, one step at a time). Every Friday, we take $100 out of our checking account and split it between us. Any money we have left from the previous week goes into a pile and we burn it. Just kidding. We are saving it and it will either be deposited into savings or used for Rj’s bday party in March. Probably the latter. Additionally, I am writing down everything we spend and sharing it with you on Friday evenings at some point in the weekend. Unless it’s super boring. Then forget it. Also, part of why I am doing this is to get feedback on what we can do to save money- which is why I am telling you about da bills. Tell me what to do, Internet People! ALSO ALSO, I want, nay, NEEEEED to add $3000 to our savings account this quarter and pay off $3666 (a third) of my credit card debt this quarter which is going to require me to sell things on ebay, etc. Wish me luck!
- Nicor $137.77 (trying to be more miserly with the heat, but I think the bigger issue is our old ass windows).
- Dentist $100
Cash Money Spent Y’all:
- Target $9.08 (I was out of town on biznezz and I forgot my hairbrush. I seriously looked like Tiny Tim and NEEDED to buy one. I got the cheapest hairbrush and a package of qtips. My beauty regime is very important to me, clearly.)
- Post Office $10.80 (still shipping out discounted sheriff peanut shirts)
- Airport shop $2.29 (Twizzlers. I don’t know, man. The siren song of those cherry red lips got me. Plus I was bored. It was cheaper than the beer, which is what I really wanted.)
- Dunkin Donuts $5.27 (I know, I know. But the coffee machine at work is now officially hooked up.)
- Target $14.93 (A new shower curtain liner and coffee)
- Habanero 7.16 (lunch. Argh)
- Da Jewels $58 (groceries)
- Marion Street Cheese Market $7 (I met some friends there but I wasn’t eating and was over caffeinated already, so I had a bloody mary.)
- Thai food $35 (Paul’s mom was visiting and we were too tired to cook and and and)
- Gas $40 (guessing. Paul got the gas and didn’t tell me how much)
Total Cash Spent $189.53- Argh. We are still getting in the groove. Last time we did this, we didn’t include gas in the budget and I think that is kind of screwing us up here. And the thai food, but SPECIAL OCCASION! Last time we did this, we also stocked up on staples, so all we were buying was fresh produce here and there. This time our cupboards are boarding on bare.
Extra cash Earned:
- Sold a ton of Sheriff Peanut tee shirts at a discount $85
- Refund check from insurance $25
- Payment for records I sold $30
Total extra bling bling- $140. Used some of this on our overage this week. Still need to get stuff up on ebay, but concentrating on getting rid of the remainder of the Sheriff Peanut stuff has been keeping me busy. Want any?
Where I am at on paying off the credit card? My goal for this quarter is $3666. So far I have paid $900 of that, leaving $2766 to go. I am $322 behind for the month, which is somewhat worrisome. However, the extra cash/paypal I have earned hasn’t really been applied anywhere yet. So…
Where am I at amassing 3k into savings? We’ve put $1080 in savings this month…however, we had to take $500 out due to a miscalculation between Paul and I both paying bills on the same pay period and not having enough. We are still getting used to getting paid weekly, and keep forgetting and saving up the bulk of the bills for the 15th, when we really should be paying whatever bills came in the mail that week. So, we would have been right on target, but that chunk of change really set us back. Oh and we earned 3 cents in interest. THANKS CHASE!
State of the Union of My Brain and Emotions: Currently, I am feeling pretty ok with the project. I am embarrassed about certain stuff, mainly restaurant/coffee stuff, but I think we are SO MUCH BETTER THAN WE WERE. I should say I. Paul has one bad habit that he spends money on, which I will not get into here (ok, it’s heroin), but other than that, I think it’s like….coffee, mostly. So, I think we are on the right track. I hate that I’m not perfect at this right off the bat, and I feel like my explanations sound like defensive excuses, but LAY OFF. Just kidding. I am still uncomfortable talking about this stuff and I am like…mentally refusing to tell you guys how much was in our savings acct to begin with for some reason. It’s like embarrassment mixed with fear of looking like I am bragging, not that there is anything to brag about up in there.
As mentioned above, I feel guilty/embarrassed when I spend money on food instead of eating at home. Last week was and this weekend will be a flurry of dinners and cab rides because I had/have two business trips. I didn’t include them in the budget because I am reimbursed for the expenses and I don’t really have any control over them, but I still FELT like I was cheating while eating at restaurants in Minneapolis.
Inspirational reading: This woman paid off $90000 in debt in three years, without winning the lottery.